Men’s Heart Health
Modern Heart and Vascular Institute
Cardiovascular Specialist & Board Certified Cardiologist located in Humble, TX, Katy, TX & Cleveland, TX
Men’s cardiovascular health is one of the most important aspects of their overall health and well-being. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the U.S. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cardiac disease causes one out of every four male deaths each year. Millions more have or are at risk of developing heart disease. In addition to death, heart conditions can cause serious complications and reduce your quality of life.
Heart disease is an umbrella term encompassing a wide range of cardiovascular conditions. While similar numbers of men and women have cardiovascular issues, men face unique risks and may experience different symptoms. Modern Heart and Vascular is a private men’s heart health clinic emphasizing patient-focused, preventive care.
Heart Health Risks for Men
Risk factors are characteristics or behaviors that affect how likely you are to develop heart disease. Whether these factors are within or outside of your control, being aware of your risks can help you prevent or manage the onset of cardiac conditions. You can take steps to change or address certain traits and behaviors to reduce the threat of heart disease.
Some risk factors that particularly affect men include:
- Low testosterone.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Physical inactivity.
- Excessive alcohol use.
- Family history.
Remaining aware of your individual risk factors can help you prevent or treat potential heart conditions.
Common Heart Conditions in Men
The heart specialists at Modern Heart and Vascular have experience with a wide range of cardiovascular health conditions in men. Heart disease covers a broad spectrum of issues. Some cardiac problems are sudden, potentially deadly events like heart attacks or strokes. Others are chronic conditions that build up over time, gradually increasing your risks of serious events or complications. These issues can be silent until it’s too late, which is why regular cardiovascular exams are essential.
Common heart conditions in men include:
- Heart attack: A heart attack occurs when a blockage reduces blood flow to your heart. Men typically experience symptoms of chest pain or discomfort during a heart attack.
- Congestive heart failure: Heart failure is a chronic condition in which the heart cannot work as well as it should, resulting in shortness of breath, chest pain and fatigue.
- Angina: When your heart doesn’t get enough oxygen, you may suffer from stable or unstable angina — episodes of chest pain that can last for minutes or longer.
- Coronary artery disease (CAD): Over time, plaque builds up in your arteries and limits blood flow to your heart. This condition can weaken your heart and lead to severe complications like a stroke or heart attack.
- Arrhythmia: An arrhythmia is an irregular heartbeat. While some arrhythmias are harmless, they can also indicate severe underlying causes or possible cardiac damage in some men.
Set an Appointment With Our Men’s Heart Health Clinic in Texas
At Modern Heart and Vascular, our heart specialists understand the unique risks associated with heart disease in men. We use the most advanced technology and a patient-focused approach to detect, diagnose and treat cardiovascular conditions. To learn more about men’s heart health and schedule an appointment with Modern Heart and Vascular, contact us online today.
This article does not provide medical advice. It is intended for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you need cardiovascular care, please call us at 832-644-8930.