Caffeine overdose is very rare. It generally implies high amounts of caffeine consumed in powder or tablet form, not drinks. The reason is simple; it is very complicated to get that much caffeine when drinking fluids because of the time it takes to consume them. The lethal dose of caffeine for most people is about ten grams, although this varies from person to person. A cup of coffee has approximately a hundred to two hundred milligrams of caffeine. An energy drink contains between fifty and three hundred mg of caffeine. A can of soda generally has less than seventy mg. Therefore, even with the most caffeinated energy drink, you would still have to drink about thirty of them in quick succession to reach the ten grams range.
If you tried to drink that many beverages with caffeine, chances are your body would halt you before reaching toxic levels. Most of the time, if individuals have severe signs of caffeine toxicity, it starts with nausea and vomiting. So that is somewhat protective because you get sick and throw up the caffeine before it gets too toxic. However, with caffeine powder or tablets, you may be ingesting a large amount simultaneously. One teaspoon of the powder has three thousand and two hundred mg of caffeine.
If you suspect a caffeine overdose, go to the emergency room, and report it to your doctor any caffeinated products you consumed before having symptoms. Your doctor may also monitor your breathing, heartbeat, and blood pressure. In addition, they may check your temperature and undergo a urine or blood test to identify medications in your system.
Usually, there are no long-term health problems after treating caffeine overdose, but this situation can be life-threatening, especially for younger patients, such as infants and young children. Caffeine overdoses can also worsen pre-existing health conditions, such as anxiety. When the administration of the treatment is too late, it can result in irreversible health problems and even death. At the very least, you should call the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) if you suspect a caffeine overdose.